Maharashtra CM Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray’s address to the State :
- This happened in Palghar district, around 110km away from Palghar, on the border of Dadra Nagar Haveli, a union territory. The two sadhus were travelling to Gujarat through a remote area, as there were curbs on the main roads.
- They were stopped at the border and asked to leave. On their way back, they were stopped due to a misunderstanding in this remote area, and unfortunately, were killed. There were rumours that thieves were moving around there.
- The Gadchinchli village where this happened, is in a remote area. This would not have been prevented if they were detained on the border for the night, and inquiries made with the Maharashtra government next morning.
- After the incident, over 100 accused were nabbed and five kingpins arrested. Nine minors have been sent to remand homes and a manhunt is on for others. The Government will not spare anyone.
- Those trying to inflame passions, must desist from doing so. There is no Hindu-Muslim angle or communalism in this attack. Two policemen were suspended immediately. The CID Crime will inquire into this incident and DGP Atul Kulkarni will lead the probe.
- Do not try to create misunderstandings. I spoke to Union Home Minister Amit Shah ji. Amitji knows there is no communal angle here. I told him we must search for all those fanning passions on social media.
- These people do not suffer during the aftermath of their actions. They must be located and nabbed soon. I have also given instructions to the State Government. Mob lynchings will not be tolerated in Maharashtra.
- Your faith in the Maharashtra Government is our strength. Like the war against Corona, we will win the battle against crime, riots and those uploading incendiary content on social media to ignite communal hatred.