P Chidambaram – Former Union Finance Minister:
- Two days ago I had tweeted why the central and state governments are oblivious of the fact that thousands of migrant workers are still trudging to their home states.
- It is obvious that the transport policy of providing buses and trains to transport migrant workers was poorly designed, planned, coordinated and implemented.
- The decision to provide buses and trains was hopelessly belated. Meanwhile lakhs of persons had begun their trek to their home states.
- Once the policy was announced, government should have gone to the rescue of the trekkers and provided buses or trains to them to continue their journey.
- The tragedy that happened this morning could have been avoided if governments had gone to the rescue of the migrant workers in time.