P Chidambaram, @PChidambaram_IN – Former Union Finance Minister:
- We reciprocate the PM’s New Year greetings.
- We understand the compulsion for extending the lockdown. We support the decision.
- But beyond the lockdown, what was ‘new’ in PM’s new year message?
- It is obvious that livelihood for the poor — their survival — is not among the priorities of the government.
- CMs’ demand for money elicited no response.
- Not a rupee has been added to the miserly package of March 25, 2020.
- From Raghuram Rajan to Jean Dreze, from Prabhat Patnaik to Abhijit Banerji, their advice has fallen on deaf years.
- The poor have been left to fend for themselves for 21+19 days, including practically soliciting food.
- There is money, there is food, but the government will not release either money or food. Cry, my beloved country.