Ministry of Health and Family Welfare:
Under the visionary guidance of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has taken a historic and a landmark decision for providing 27% reservation for OBCs and 10% reservation for Economically Weaker Section (EWS) in the All India Quota (AIQ) Scheme for undergraduate and postgraduate medical / dental courses (MBBS / MD / MS / Diploma / BDS / MDS) from the current academic year 2021-22 onwards.
Prime Minister in a meeting held on 26th July (Monday), 2021 had directed the concerned Union Ministries to facilitate an effective solution to this long pending issue.
This decision would benefit every year nearly 1500 OBC students in MBBS and 2500 OBC students in post graduation and also around 550 EWS students in MBBS and around 1000 EWS students in postgraduation.
The All India Quota (AIQ) Scheme was introduced in 1986 under the directions of the Supreme Court to provide for domicile-free merit based opportunities to students from any State to aspire to study in a good medical college located in another State.
All India Quota consists of 15% of total available UG seats and 50% of total available PG seats in government medical colleges.
Initially, there was no reservation in AIQ Scheme up to 2007. In 2007, the Supreme Court introduced reservation of 15% for SCs and 7.5% for STs in the AIQ Scheme.
When the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Admission) Act became effective in 2007 providing for uniform 27% reservation to OBCs, the same was implemented in all the Central Educational Institutions viz. Safdarjung Hospital, Lady Harding Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University and Banaras Hindu University etc.
However, this was not extended to the AIQ seats of State medical and dental colleges.
The present Government is committed to providing due reservation both to the backward category as well as the EWS category.
The Union Government has now taken a historic decision to provide for 27% reservation for OBCs and 10% reservation for EWS in the AIQ Scheme.
The OBC students from across the country shall now be able to take benefit of this reservation in AIQ Scheme to compete for seats in any State.
Being a Central Scheme, the Central List of OBCs shall be used for this reservation.
This decision is also in sync with the significant reforms carried out in the field of medical education since 2014.
During the last six years, MBBS Seats in the country have increased by 56% from 54,348 seats in 2014 to 84,649 seats in 2020 and the number of PG seats have increased by 80% from 30,191 seats in 2014 to 54,275 seats in 2020.
During the same period, 179 new medical colleges have been established and now the country has 558 (Govt: 289, Pvt: 269) medical colleges.
Prime Minister’s Office:
Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed policy makers in the domain of education and skill development, students and teachers, across the country via video conferencing, to mark the completion of one year of reforms under the National Education Policy 2020.
He also launched multiple initiatives in the education sector.
Congratulating the countrymen and students for New Education Policy completing one year, the Prime Minister lauded the hard work of teachers, professors, policymakers in realizing the New education policy on the ground, even during the difficult time of Covid-19.
Noting the significance of the year ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’, the Prime Minister said that the new Education Policy will play a major role in this important period.
The Prime Minister said our future progress and growth is dependent on the level of education and direction given to our youth today. “I believe that is one of the bigger factors in ‘mahayagya’ of national development”, said the Prime Minister
The Prime Minister noted the changes brought by the pandemic and how normal online education became for the students. More than 23 hundred crore hits on Diksha portal bear testimony to the utility of portals like Diksha and Swayam.
The Prime Minister noted the strides made by the youth from small towns. He cited great performance at the Tokyo Olympics by the youth from such towns. He lauded the efforts of the youth in the fields of robotics, AI, start-ups and their leadership in industry 4.0.
He said if the younger generation gets the environment suitable for their dreams, there is no limit to their growth.
He stressed that today’s youth wants to decide their systems and their world on their own terms. They need exposure and freedom from the shackles and restrictions.
New Education Policy, assures our youth that the country is fully with them and their aspirations. Artificial Intelligence programme which was launched today will make the student future oriented and will pave the way for AI-driven economy.
Similarly, National Digital Education Architecture, (NDEAR) and National Education Technology Forum (NETF) will go a long way in providing a digital and technological framework to the entire country, the Prime Minister said.
The Prime Minister highlighted the openness and absence of pressure in the New Education Policy. He said that there is an openness at policy level and openness is also visible in the options available to the students.
Options like multiple entry and exit will free students from the restrictions of staying in one class and one course.
Similarly, modern technology based Academic Bank of Credit system will bring revolutionary change. This will give confidence to the student in choosing stream and subjects.
‘Structured Assessment for Analyzing Learning levels’, SAFAL will take away the fear of examination. The Prime Minister reiterated that these new programmes have the capability to change India’s destiny.
Quoting Mahatma Gandhi, the Prime Minister emphasized the importance of local languages as medium of instructions.
The Prime Minister informed that 14 engineering colleges of 8 states are starting to impart education in 5 Indian languages Hindi, Tamil, Telugu. Marathi and Bangla.
A tool has been developed for translating engineering course in 11 languages. This emphasis on mother tongue as the medium of instruction will instil confidence in the students from poor, rural and tribal background. Even in the elementary education mother tongue is being promoted and Vidya Praveshprogamme, launched today, will play a big role in that.
He also informed that Indian sign language, for the first time, has been accorded the status of language subject. Students will be able to study it as language also. There are more than 3 lakh student who need sign language for their education.
This will give a boost to Indian sign language and will help the divyang people, said the Prime Minister
Underlining the critical role of teachers, the Prime Minister informed that from the formulation stage to implementation, teachers are active part of New Education Policy.
NISHTHA 2.0, launched today will provide training to teachers as per their needs and they will be able to give their suggestions to the department.
Prime Minister launched the Academic Bank of Credit that will provide multiple entry and exit options for students in Higher education;
1st Year Engineering Programmes in Regional Languages and Guidelines for Internationalization of Higher Education.
The initiatives to be launched also included Vidya Pravesh, a three month play based school preparation module for Grade 1 students;
Indian Sign Language as a Subject at secondary level; NISHTHA 2.0, an integrated programme of teacher training designed by NCERT;
SAFAL (Structured Assessment For Analyzing Learning Levels), a competency based assessment framework for Grades 3, 5 and 8 in CBSE schools; and a website dedicated to Artificial Intelligence.
The event also witnessed the launch of National Digital Education Architecture (NDEAR) and National Education Technology Forum (NETF).
Pic Credit: BJP India
PM Narendra Modi:
- On International Tiger Day, greetings to wildlife lovers, especially those who are passionate about tiger conservation.
- Home to over 70% of the tiger population globally, we reiterate our commitment to ensuring safe habitats for our tigers and nurturing tiger-friendly eco-systems.
- India is home to 51 tiger reserves spread across 18 states.
- The last tiger census of 2018 showed a rise in the tiger population. India achieved the target of doubling of tiger population 4 years ahead of schedule of the St. Petersburg Declaration on tiger Conservation.
- India’s strategy of tiger conservation attaches topmost importance to involving local communities. We are also inspired by our centuries old ethos of living in harmony with all flora and fauna with whom we share our great planet.
Kiren Rijiju – Union Minister:
- Dear Mary Kom, you lost in Tokyo Olympics by just one point but for me you are always a champion!
- You have achieved what no other female boxer in the world has ever achieved.
- You are a legend. India is proud of you
- BOXING & OLYMPICS will miss you
P Chidambaram – Former Union Finance Minister:
- Owing to the stubborn refusal of the government to discuss matters raised by the Opposition (Pegasus, Farm Laws), Parliament is deadlocked — and diminished
- Owing to the refusal of the BJP members to sign the attendance sheet, a Parliamentary Committee has been stymied — and diminished, and perhaps on the way to be disbanded
- What will be celebrated on August 15? A diminished democracy?
Aaditya Thackeray – Minister, Maharashtra Govt. :
This International Tiger Day, I take the opportunity of reiterating our commitment towards protecting Tigers, wildlife corridors and establish a firm idea of sustainable development in Maharashtra.
The MVA has always put the gift of nature at the forefront of every opportunity and supported those who are selflessly committed to the cause of protecting our natural wealth.
Let the majestic echoes of Tiger roars ring loud and free!
Harsimrat Kaur Badal – Former Union Minister :
- Today is the 9th day of Parliament but Centre has consistently refused to admit our adjournment motion.
- Opposition wants discussion on Farm Laws & Pegasus Project but BJP govt is stonewalling it.
- This govt has made a mockery of the Parliament to confer gains to their chosen few.
Office of Minister KTR:
- Telangana Ministers KTR and Sabitha Reddy inaugurated the Premier Energies state-of-the-art facility at E-City in Hyderabad.
- Premier Energies Founder & Chairman Surender Pal Singh, MLC Vani Devi, Prl Secy Jayesh Ranjan, TSIIC VCMD Narasimha Reddy participated.
- This facility has been built with an investment of Rs. 483 crores.
- Premier Energies is now the 2nd largest player in India as an integrated facility producing both solar cells and solar modules.
- This new manufacturing facility is a greenfield project with a capacity of 750 MW solar cell & 750 MW solar module, and will produce MCCE textured multi-crystalline cells and modules, Mono PERC cells and modules as well as 19.2% efficiency polycrystalline cells and modules.
- IT and Industries Minister KTR addressed the gathering
Humbled by the warm welcome given by my fellow Congressmen upon our arrival in Hubballi for Divisional Meetings alongside AICC GS Sri RS Surjewala.DK Shivakumar – President, Karnataka Congress
Looking forward to the interactions!
Met with Dr A Sakhtivel, President of the Federation of Indian Export Organisations.Piyush Goyal – Union Minister
We are committed to achieving the target $400 billion in merchandise exports this year.
Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Education Minister :
On 1 year of NEP2020, let us reiterate our resolve to make education holistic, affordable, accessible and equitable. Let us work together to realise the aspirations of a 21st-century Aatmanirbhar Bharat and to make India a vibrant knowledge economy.
A year ago, on this day under the leadership of Hon. PM Narendra Modi, NEP2020– a visionary education policy of the 21st-century was launched with the aim to bring out the capabilities of each student, universalise education, build capacities and transform the learning landscape.
Today, on the completion of 1 year of transformative reforms under the NEP, PM Narendra Modi ji will launch multiple initiatives that will prove to be a significant milestone in realising several goals envisaged under the New Education Policy and guide us through his address.
Sukhbir Singh Badal – President, Akali Dal:
- It’s atrocious that Congress govt isn’t sharing the complete record of Post Matric SC Scholarship scam with CBI despite its express request.
- Proves that Capt Amarinder is backing Sadhu Singh Dharamsot whose corruption has affected the prospects of lakhs of Dalit students.
- JCT Electronics liquidation scam: SAD-BSP govt once formed will order a time-bound inquiry into the Rs 400 cr scam.
- I demand that Industries minister Sunder Sham Arora be sacked immediately & a CBI or HC monitored inquiry be held to nab all big wigs & officials involved in the scam.
Lok Sabha passes the Inland Vessels Bill, 2021 which will replace the Inland Vessels Act, 1917.Sarbananda Sonowal – Union Minister:
The Bill promotes cheaper and safer navigation, ensures protection of life & cargo and brings uniformity in application of laws related to inland waterways & navigation.
Chief Minister of West Bengal Sushri Mamata Banerjee called on Union Minister Shri Nitin Gadkari Ji today.office of nitin gadkari
In the presence of officials they reviewed various road projects being undertaken in the state.
Kanimozhi – MP, DMK leader:
- It was a pleasure meeting Mamata Didi and congratulated her on the landslide victory in the Bengal elections.
- I always feel inspired meeting women leaders.
- We spoke about the undemocratic ways of the current union government and why rest of the country must unite in this fight against fascism.
- We should never let autocratic forces succeed.
Meeting esteemed Party Colleagues from Ludhiana and sharing their concerns …Navjot singh sidhu – president, punjab congress
Hardeep S Puri, Union Minister :
The king of chillies from Nagaland exported to London via Guwahati for the first time.
Reminds me of our brush with this famous variety of fiery chillies when Lakshmi & I stopped by at a roadside vegetable market during our trip to Meghalaya in August 2019.
Conrad Sangma, CM, Meghalaya :
The Swarnim Vijay Mashaal (Victory Flame) has reached Shillong. Took part in the celebration that commemorates 50 Years of India’s Victory over Pakistan in 1971.
The Mashaal symbolises our nation’s victory & the sacrifice of our bravehearts.
The Mashaal was flagged off on 16 Dec 2020 from the National War Memorial by Hon’ble PM & entered NE recently.
The Mashaal will remain in the state till 08 Aug 2021 and will be dispatched to Assam thereafter.